Maximillion

Maximillion
I DEFINITELY SMELL SOMETHING

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Jobless, Clueless, Penniless

I have been at my current position for about 10 years.  I have been in my current field for over 15 years.   Basically, all but one of my "grown-up" jobs have been within the same industry.  I love my current job and my current boss but the decline in business has finally come to a head for our little office. 

At the end of this month, I am jobless.

I am trying to remain calm but minor episodes of madness seem to keep bubbling up and leaking out  when I least expect it.  I imagine this would have been a lot easier to handle without the fact that life has been imitating a caged chimpanzee for the past couple of years, flinging all kinds of crap on me at every opportunity.  Still, I am trying my best...breathe in...breathe out...put on my hazmat suit...damned chimpanzees!

I go about updating my resume, realize I haven't done so since I was in my twenties, chuck the whole thing and start fresh.  Quite symbolic, wouldn't you say?  I contact all of my, well...contacts and start faxing and emailing resumes, filling out applications and making phone calls.  Attempting a positive attitude, I envision potential interviews and practice prospective interview questions.  I feel confident, completely prepared to being the job hunt.  I go to sleep dreaming of perfect interviews and jobs so surreally perfect, there should be a fairy godmother hovering at my shoulder. 

Early the next morning, I have a phone interview set up.  Though still somewhat groggy, I answer the phone in my most professional phone voice and my first interview begins.  The interviewer asks me to list some of the computer systems I have worked with and I draw a blank.  I actually respond by saying, "I'm not sure, what does my resume say?".  I then proceed to try to lighten things up when she talks of the long hours tied to a desk and phone by stating,  "I prefer to do my work sitting down, that's where I shine.".  It sounded funny in my head.  By the end of the call, she says they will make their decision by the end of the week and someone should get back to me by Friday afternoon.  I thank her and then brilliantly ask, "What company is this?".

I realize then that in this new reality, I am clueless.

There is one other issue that makes my job search less than promising.  Because of the crap-slinging life chimp, I am dealing with some pretty horrific finances.  I work in a fiduciary field and my credit will definitely be considered.  If my credit history were viewed as a line chart, you would see a slowly elevating line with some minor dips in the beginning but basically a softly inclining hill of a line.  Then, as of last year, you would see the line drop.  Not a slanting decrease but more like there was an error with the printer, resulting in a vertical line appearing and effectively stopping all other information from printing through.

In other words, I am penniless.

So, if you hear of anyone seeking a jobless, clueless, penniless person with a mostly positive, mildly crazy demeanor who has lots of job skills but apparently can't recall them without having to use her own resume as a cheat sheet...I am your girl!

Wish me luck...I have a feeling I'll need it.


15 comments:

  1. Here is a tip...keep a copy of your resume next to your phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll try to remember that from now on.

      Delete
  2. Lots of luck coming your way, Nari. I'll be trying to enter the workforce again in one year, after a decade break (and I just had a trial-run experience that didn't go so well). I'm definitely scared, nervous, and procrastinating as much as I can about this whole process. Don't be too hard on yourself--it'll all come back to you. Interviews are hard, and on the phone, even harder.

    Well, good luck, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely keep everyone posted whether they care or not. This is my place to exhale after all.

      Thansk for the encouragement and best of luck to you too.

      Delete
  3. I think you will do brilliantly. You just have to relax a bit cos you know your stuff. Good luck, hope something good comes of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...to bad you weren't the interviewer ;)

      Delete
  4. Starting over is never easy, esp. when you have to do it in such a huge way. Look at it this way, you've already had most of your "DOH!" moments, so things can only get better. Right? Say I'm right... I'm always right... except when I'm humoring Tony...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly say you're right. Well, I really really hope you are

      Delete
  5. And yet you write brilliantly and you're as clever and witty as anyone I've ever "met!" This post is almost two weeks old, so I certainly hope the stinky chimp has resisted flinging more poo at you, and things are on an incline for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on the job thing and hopefully things will be looking up soon. I've decided to wear a hazmat suit and just wade through the piles until I can get past that crappy chimp.

      Delete
  6. Checking in. Great admiration for how you are handling the "chimp".
    Good luck and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're doing fabulous now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey you! Are you getting our messages?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Nari. Just checking in too. Hope things are improving on your end. You keep positive now, you hear-um-read?

    ReplyDelete