Maximillion

Maximillion
I DEFINITELY SMELL SOMETHING

Friday, September 24, 2010

Right, Left, Who Cares

With the midterm elections coming and all of the ridiculous campaign ads, I find myself wanting to turn my back on the entire thing.  But I have a daughter who just turned 18 last year and she is looking forward to playing her part in the election process.  She is full of ideals and ideas to make this country better.  When I watch her, I am ashamed of myself. 

I had the opportunity to share my political views with her on more than one occasion and though she has asked, I refuse to do so.  I don't want to influence her point of view.  I want her to make her choices based on her own decisions so I told her the following:

I believe in the American Dream.  I believe in Equal Rights.  But only in the true sense of the word.  I believe that every individual should have the same rights as every other individual.  I believe the same opportunities should be available to every person and that no one should be above the laws of the land.  I do not believe in Equal Rights as they pertain to a collective or group.  I believe that would be the destruction of our individual rights.  It would empower whoever was the most populated group and we would all then live by their mercy. 

I suggested she right down the issues relevant to her and the personal values she holds most dear and then try to find the candidates that best match her needs and expectations.

I realized after speaking with her that I should do the same rather than being such a cynical old lady.

Thanks Brittany, my beautiful daughter, for giving me back my hope ... but if I have to watch one more nasty, irrelevant campaign ad ...  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment